Blood in the urine, also known as hematuria, is commonly experienced by people with certain urological conditions. However, since hematuria is only a symptom of a much bigger disease, it has no specific treatment. This means that the least you can do when you notice blood in your urine is to consult a physician who will be able to diagnose the underlying condition and immediately administer treatment.
Possible causes of hematuria
There are various areas in a person’s urinary tract that might have caused blood to appear in the urine. The problem may also happen in a person’s kidneys, which is where urine is produced. Some areas where problems may be present, thereby causing blood in the urine include:
- Bladder, where urine is normally stored
- Ureters, or the small tubes that connect the bladder to the kidneys
- Urethra, or where the urine flows from the bladder and out of the person’s body
Hematuria may also result from certain conditions, such as:
- Strenuous activities
- Injury to the kidneys
- Bladder or kidney infections
- Stones in the bladder or kidney
- Tumors in the bladder, kidney, or prostate
- Diseases involving the kidney such as glomerulonephritis
- Taking certain drugs such as aspirin, penicillin, cyclophosphamide, phenazopyridine, and heparin
- Hereditary diseases such as sickle cell anemia and cystic kidney disease
Types of hematuria
When you are able to detect blood in your urine, making your urine appear pink, tea-colored, red, or brownish-red, you may be having gross hematuria. Meanwhile, when the blood in one’s urine is not visible to the naked eye, this could be a symptom called microscopic hematuria, in which blood in the urine can only be identified under the microscope.
Do you have blood in your urine? Consult a doctor now. Call us at Collin County Urology at 972-403-5425 and we’d be glad to assess your situation.
About AdviceMediaView all posts by AdviceMedia → This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.
← Symptoms Commonly Associated with a Urinary Tract Infection Why Young Men Can Experience Erectile Dysfunction →