Affected by Erectile Dysfunction? Revitalize Your Sex Life with ED Treatment.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a serious condition that affects approximately 30 million American males. This condition, popularly known as impotence, is more than just a failure to achieve or maintain an erection before or during sex, it can also dwindle self-esteem and end relationships. At Collin County Urology in Plano, TX and McKinney, TX, our urologists are committed to helping men ease and reverse the symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
Why does erectile dysfunction occur?
The causes of erectile dysfunction can be classified into two categories: physical and psychological.
Physical Factors of ED:
- Narrowing of the blood vessels that supply the penis (perhaps caused by diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure)
- Being overly tired like in jet lag
- Being overweight
- Low levels of testosterone
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Side effect of certain medicines
- Result of surgery for prostate or rectal cancer
- Age may be a risk factor; the older the man, the most likely he’ll experience impotence
Psychological Factors of ED:
- Stress, anxiety, and feelings of guilt
- Fear of achieving an erection
- Loss of interest in sexual activity
Under normal conditions, an erection involves a sudden rush of blood into the penis due to arousal. Consequently, the veins in the penis clamp and trap the blood, resulting in stiffness. While most men may encounter problems with erection at some point in their lives such as when they are stressed or anxious, erectile dysfunction happens more regularly and may eventually lead to a long-lasting problem.
How is ED Diagnosed?
Erectile Dysfunction can be urologist through severe a test, including:
- Urine and blood exams to figure out if diabetes may be causing the problem
- Blood test to measure cholesterol levels
- Blood test to measure testosterone
- An exam that measures blood flow and pressure to your penis
Assessment of your sexual history, psychological assessment, and a complete physical exam may be carried out as well. If you have been experiencing failure in erection for than 6 to 8 weeks, we recommend contacting your health care provider or Collin County Urology.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Treatment options will vary for each patient depends on the underlying cause of the condition. For example, if your urologist detects high blood pressure and elevated levels of cholesterol are causing your failure to achieve an erection, they may need to stabilize these levels first.
Also, medications and surgery may also be treatment options. Upon the assessment of what’s causing your erectile dysfunction at our office in Plano, TX or McKinney, TX, you and your urologist will develop a personalized treatment plan.
Lifestyle Changes for Impotence
Your doctor may also recommend lifestyle changes to help you achieve and maintain erection such as weight loss, giving up smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, regular exercise, and taking measures to reduce stress.
We invite you to get in touch with our Collin County Urology team if you think you may be suffering from erectile dysfunction. Treatment for impotence is individualized depending on your specific problems.
Allow us to help you restore your confidence and eventually enjoy life! Contact Collin County Urology to schedule your appointment or visit us in Plano, TX or McKinney, TX.